If you want to open an existing Hotmail account, you can do it by following a few simple steps that are explained below:
- Open your web browser and type hotmail.com in your address bar. This will open a page addressed as outlook.live.com/owa. On this page, you have two options. The first one would be “create a free account” and the second would be “Sign in”. Since you already have a Hotmail account, you need to click the option “Sign In”.
- Next, you will be getting a ‘Sign in’ window with a field for entering your email ID. You can also sign in using your registered phone number or Skype ID. After entering the details, click on the option “Next”.
- In the next step, you need to enter the password for your account. After entering the password, you have an option below that says, “Keep me signed in”. If you do not wish to follow the ‘sign in’ process every time you access your account using the same PC, then you should enable the option by clicking on the checkbox.
It is a suitable option if you are working on your personal computer which is not used by anyone else. This is because if you choose to remain signed in, your account can be accessed directly. Now click on the option “Sign In” to proceed further. If you have entered all the details correctly, you will be directed to your account’s inbox.
How to open Hotmail account if you forgot the password?
If you want to access your Hotmail account, you need to enter your email ID and password. But unfortunately, if you are not able to remember the password, then you need to reset it by following certain steps.
- Open the web browser and type hotmail.com in the address bar. This would open the page Outlook.live.com. On the page, you have the option “Sign In”. Click on it to open the ‘Sign In’ window.
- In the ‘Sign In’ page, you have to enter the email ID or registered phone number to log into your account. Click on the option “Next” to proceed.
- Next, you will be asked to enter the password for your account. Below the field, for entering the password you will be able to see an option that says, “Forgot my password”. Click on this link to proceed further.
- Now you will be getting a window that asks you the reason for not being able to sign in. You will be given 3 different reasons to choose from. The first reason would be “I forgot my password”. Choose this option and click on the option “Next” to proceed further.
- In this step, you will see a window that says, “Recover your account”. Below that you will be having a picture Captcha. You have to make out the distorted characters and type them out. If you find it difficult, you can click on the option “New” to get a new picture Captcha. But still, if you find it difficult you have an option called “Audio”. Click on it to use an Audio Captcha. You will be getting an audio icon. You can click over the icon to play the audio. You can also play the audio by pressing 1. You should listen carefully to the series of words dictated and type them in the field provided. You can change the order of the words, but you should enter all the words. After you have finished, click on the option “Next” to proceed.
- In this step, you will be asked to choose an account verification method. If you have chosen 2-step verification process for your account, you might have provided a backup email ID or a phone number while creating your account. So in this step, you will be asked whether you wish to receive your security code via text or email. If you have submitted a backup email ID you can choose the option ‘email’ and if you have registered a phone number you can choose the option ‘text’.
If you choose the option that you wish to get the security code via email, you will be asked to enter the email ID. After entering the backup email ID click on the option “Send Code”. You will get an email within a few seconds to your backup email account. Open the email account and check the inbox for a mail from a Microsoft account team. Check the security code and enter it in the field provided for submitting the code. If you have entered the code properly you will be landing on a new page that provides you the option of resetting your password. You have to type your new password and submit to recover your account.
- In the previous step, if you had chosen the option of receiving the security code via text message, you will be asked to enter the last 4 digits of your mobile number. After entering the numbers, select the option “Send Code”. You will instantly get a text message on your phone. Open the message and check the security code. Type the code in the field provided on the screen. If your code is accurate, you will be getting an option to reset the password.
- If you haven’t chosen a 2-step verification process while creating your Hotmail account or if you do not have access to your backup email ID or phone number, then you can choose the last option (in step 6) that says, “I don’t have either”. In this case, you will be taken to the next verification method wherein you will be getting a page with a field for entering an alternate email ID. If you have any other email ID that can be readily accessed, then you can enter it. For instance, you can enter your Gmail account ID.
Below this field, you can also see an option to create a new ID if you do not have any alternate ID. For the purpose of recovering your account, you can create a new ID and submit the same. Once you have entered the full ID click on the option “Next”. You will get a small window with an empty field for entering a security code that has been sent to your alternate email ID.
- Next, you need to sign into your alternate email ID using a different page in your web browser. After opening your inbox, look for the email sent by Microsoft account team. Open the mail to view the security code. Now switch to the previous page and resume the process of account recovery. Enter the security code in the field provided and click on the option “Verify” to proceed further.
- Next, you will be landing on a page wherein you will be asked to enter all the details furnished at the time of creating your account. This includes the First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Country, State, and postal code. After entering the details, click on the option “Next”. Note that you need to enter the same details that were submitted while creating the account.
- In this step, you need to enter some additional details. At first, you will be asked to enter other passwords that you might have used for accessing the account. You can enter all the passwords you have used so far.
- The next field pertains to other Microsoft products like Outlook.com, Xbox, or Skype. If you have used any of these services, then you have to select the same.
- The last field relates to your purchases from Microsoft. If you have ever purchased any kind of device, service, or application that belongs to Microsoft you should choose the option “Yes”. Or else you can select the option “No”. Click on the option “Next” to proceed.
- Note that you have to choose any one of the above-mentioned fields to proceed with the verification process. If you do not remember any previous passwords or if you haven’t used any kind of Microsoft services or products in the past, then your account recovery process cannot be continued. Your next step would depend on the information you submit on this page.
Depending on the information you had furnished on the previous page you will be getting a series of questions in this step. For instance, if you had selected the option of Skype as one of the Microsoft products that you had used in the past, then you will be getting questions related to Skype in this step. You will be asked to enter your Skype name and email used for creating the Skype account. Depending on the extent of accurate answers you can provide, you may get the option to reset the password. Unfortunately, if you do not remember the answers, your verification process would not proceed due to lack of information.